Re: [ee4j-pmc] [servlet-dev] Additional spec lead for servlet-api?

Wayne et al,

There are obviously differences about how a project should be run and the role of leaders.  However, what I hope we can all agree on is that using resignation as a tool to achieve an outcome is a bad precedent to set.  If we did so, then the many differences that lie ahead of us all are going to result in lots of blue faces as people hold their breath until they get what they want! Besides, I didn't resign because I wanted to force an outcome, I resigned because I don't think I'm right for the role as is currently needed (see below).

Moreover, I don't think that the PMC overturning a resignation is a vote of confidence in the ability of the leader(s) and committers of that project to self govern.     If projects really do have the flexibility to organise themselves as they see fit, then the PMC should empower the servlet-api project and let it organise itself, so long as there is no major process violations nor bad actors (which I see no evidence of).

If the project decides that they want an IETF style leadership role that adjudicates consensus then awesome.  If they decide they want more than one leader in that role, then perhaps they will reelect me (and hopefully they will say "project" rather than "spec" lead so the PMC won't react so vigorously ).  Or maybe the leaders/committers will come up with an alternate structure less like IETF, I might not like it, but I'll go with the consensus and either way I intend to stay involved and strive to offer some technical leadership (one voice among several I expect and hope).

I also take Markus's point that there is a difference between what is wanted and what is reality.  But I think the answer to that is the same: empower the projects and the PMC should not tread too heavily unless something is seriously wrong.

Finally, I think the reason for my resignation remains valid.  However the project self organises, it is apparent that the EE effort as a whole has some process development work to do so for the near term at least, the projects leads need to be as much outward looking as inward, and thus need to be a lot more aware of PMC and wider EE policy issues than my own clown shoe efforts have demonstrated.

regards