Re: [ee4j-pmc] Just changing javax to jakarta in package names

I would say package name change is OK, if not done lightly, but not class or method names without deprecation.

We have to do the javax package name change anyway. However if someone is doing the change manually then this imposes an additional burden as they will now have to look up the new package name rather than just knowing that they should change javax to jakarta therefore it shouldn’t be done lightly.

Steve

From: ee4j-pmc-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx <ee4j-pmc-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx> On Behalf Of Bill Shannon
Sent: 29 May 2019 22:45
To: EE4J PMC Discussions <ee4j-pmc@xxxxxxxxxxx>; Kevin Sutter <sutter@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [ee4j-pmc] Just changing javax to jakarta in package names

I agree with Arjan.

If we implement compatibility using some sort of "aliasing" facility, then the only question is how large the mapping table is that maps old names to new names.  I'm not worried about the size of the mapping table.  I'm especially not worried about mapping classes instead of just packages.  Mapping method names is probably more work, but I wouldn't rule it out.