[ecd-pmc] Move of Eclipse Winery to Eclipse ECD

Dear ECD team,

I am the project lead of Eclipse Winery. Winery applied to be an
Eclipse Project in 2013
(https://www.eclipse.org/proposals/soa.winery/).

It aims to be a full OASIS-TOSCA compliant modeling tool. Currently,
it supports TOSCA 1.0
(http://docs.oasis-open.org/tosca/TOSCA/v1.0/TOSCA-v1.0.html). TOSCA
itself is a standard to describe the management (deployment,
maintaining, undeployment) of Cloud applications. Nice overview
article: https://ieeexplore.ieee.org/document/6188582/. For
management, TOSCA offers declarative and imperative management. The
imperative management is foreseen to be implemented in WS-BPEL or
BPMN. Thus, Eclipse SOA was a very good fit.

On overview on Winery (including screenshots) is given in
http://www.iaas.uni-stuttgart.de/RUS-data/INPROC-2013-46%20-%20Winery_A_Modeling_Tool_for_TOSCA-based_Cloud_Applications.pdf.

We managed to have its initial contribution checked in in 2014
(https://www.eclipse.org/projects/tools/report.php?id=soa - only
available after log in). Since then, we are actively working on a
release for Winery. We had some issues with non-approved libraries. We
implemented the UI using jQuery, bootstrap and HTML - embedded in JSP
pages. Meanwhile, Angular got popular, so we switched to Angular2 and
are currently updating to Angular6. We are aiming to have all CQs
proposed in July and to stabilize the code to get a release ready.

As external contribution, we had one outstanding highlight: ZTE
contributed a rewrite of our BPMN4TOSCA modeler in Angular2.
BPMN4TOSCA is our custom BPMN extension to ease modeling of
application deployment and management workflows.

Winery started as part of the SOA project. In the last years, the SOA
project got less and less traction. Cloud become more and more
important, which is also reflected in the founding of the Eclipse ECD
project. The SOA top level project is going to be terminated.

Therefore, I want to ask whether it is possible for Winery to join the
ECD project as a new home.

Greetings from Germany,

Oliver

--
Universität Stuttgart
Institut für Parallele und Verteilte Systeme (IPVS) |

Back to the top