Re: [dtp-dev] Re: about the DTP model change proposal for Catalog

> i would beg to differ. in my opinion, neither proposal is inferior
> and each one has its merits/demerits which we are discussing on this
> forum before making a decision.

Hemant,

Could you please summarize the merits/demerits for each proposal, as you
see them?

Here is my summary:

Ignoring migration concerns, the original proposal is superior to the new
proposal.
1.  It provides a consistent interface for navigating the model.
2.  It satisfies the requirement for supporting multiple catalogs/databases
within a server.
3.  It satisfies the requirement for supporting namespacing of objects in a
consistent manner.

Since migration can be handled by injecting specialized implementations for
servers which do not support multiple catalogs/databases, I do not consider
migration concerns as a point of inferiority.

The new proposal lacks support for items one and three above and was
submitted purely to ease migration, which, as stated above, can be
accommodated by including specialized implementations within model base.
Because the new proposal bifurcates navigation of the model, all
functionality built on top of it will need to bifurcated as well: one
version which recognizes catalogs and one version which doesn't.  In my
opinion, this does not provide a very solid base for the other frameworks
within DTP.

Regards,
Rob

Back to the top