Re: [dtp-dev] SQLModel API Request

Hi Hemant,
        Your explanation does help. But what's the purpose of introducing the "getProcedures(), getUDFs() and getBuiltinFunctions()" methods? I can't see the difference between them and the proposed methods. Do you have any exemplary implementation as to SQL Model lazy loading? E.g. if there are separate folders in the Data Source Explorer for "Tables" and "Views", and user just wants to expand one of them, is there a generic and recommended way to lazy load the model instances?

Best Regards!

Max ( Hui ) Cao
Sybase, Inc. Shanghai, China

Hemant S Kolwalkar <hskolwal@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sent by: dtp-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx

07/25/2006 02:10 AM

Please respond to
DTP development mailing list <dtp-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>

cc
dtp-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx, dtp-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject
Re: [dtp-dev] SQLModel API Request

Hi Hui,

the intention is to keep the model code free of application specific convenience methods, unless really neccessitated. based on our past experience with models, although adding convenience methods seems to add value, in the long run, they end up cluttering the model code (there are different consumers

of the model and each consumer would have a need for their own set of convenience methods). keeping the model code pure also helps when it comes to model code regeneration. if you see, we have tried to add utility classes like TableHelper where any convenience methods can reside.

thanks,

- Hemant

IBM

Hui.Cao@xxxxxxxxxx
Sent by: dtp-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx

07/23/2006 11:48 PM

Please respond to
DTP development mailing list <dtp-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>

dtp-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
cc
Subject
[dtp-dev] SQLModel API Request

Hi,

      Currently in Schema object, there's only a getTables() method defined for Tables. But SQL Dev Tools needs to load System tables, temporary tables, ordinary tables or views separately. Just like for Routines, there're getProcedures(), getUDFs() and getBuiltinFunctions() defined in Schema object, we shall also define getSystemTables(), getTemporaryTables(), getUserTables() and getViews() in Schema. Does it make sense?

Best Regards!

Max ( Hui ) Cao
Sybase, Inc. Shanghai, China