RE: [dsdp-mtj-dev] Extension point for defining devices - Back onTrack

I'll jump in here. Previously Motorola had supplied multiple SDKs, each
one targeted at a few devices. This was essentially the codeline model
you describe. The end result was massive confusion as developers tried
to figure out what SDK applied to which device, or worse, which edition
of which SDK contained the device they were interested in. In the
redesign initiated several years ago, and implemented by the current
MOTODEV Studio, we changed to a single SDK supporting all devices. (Or
at least all GSM, 3G, and CDMA devices - iDEN is still a separate
world.) This has been much easier for developers to understand and
configure.

Regarding your question, I think it is more accurate to say that the SDK
sets the device APIs at the device level. MTJ exposes the SDK and
devices which are then set at the project level. The SDK uses this
information to set the APIs available to the build system. This
operation can be examined in MOTODEV Studio by changing the device type,
then looking at the associated libraries in the project properties. Very
fine control of the APIs and system properties is possible with this
approach.

Bottom line, in our experience, an SDK per device or per few devices is
a really, really bad idea.

I will add one more item to this discussion - what are we going to do
about regional/carrier variations of devices? Do we need to add support
for this level of phone variation?

Eric Hildum
Senior Product Manager, Mobile Developer Tools & SDK
Software Platforms and Delivery
Ecosystem and Market Development
Motorola
Direct: +1-408-541-6809