Re: [dsdp-mtj-dev] Extension point for defining devices - Back onTrack

Hildum Eric-XFQ473 wrote:
This would probably impact projects, which associate one or more devices with the projects. How would we reestablish these associations?

This raises an interesting question:

Should a project be associated with an "SDK" or with a "Device".
e.g. If a project is associated with a Device, and there is more than one SDK providing (posible updated) support for the same Device, how would this be handled. Or, when an updated SDK is providing support for the same devices, should the project be automatically using the newer SDK?

This may lead to problems where a developer wants to temporarily try out multiple SDKs for the same device.

My recommendation is that the project association is with a combination of "SDK ID and Device ID", and no behind the scenes changes to surprise the developer. I think something like the JDT VmInstall ID. see: http://help.eclipse.org/stable/topic/org.eclipse.jdt.doc.isv/reference/extension-points/org_eclipse_jdt_launching_vmInstalls.html

Btw, Danail, thanks for the idea with the JDT VM registration analogy, i think this is a very good reference for how we can solve this.

----- Danail Nachev wrote:

Device Registry should listen for extension registry changes, so it can
invalidate all devices added via obsolete extensions. Another thing
which I think makes sense if the contributed devices are not persisted,
they are always added at startup from the extension points. This will
guarantee that no stale devices exists in the registry. Does this makes
sense?

Danail, do you know how JDT handles the persisting problem?

Re-Register at each startup: I see potential for race-conditions (if there is multiple SDK's with identical devices?) and performance issues Persist information: Possible inconsistencies if SDK's are manually removed while Eclipse was not running.

Overall I prefer the solution where the information is persisted, but i recommend we evaluate how JDT handles this.

-Christian

Back to the top