Re: [che-dev] Making the registry field mandatory

Hi Mario,

On 4/16/21 12:41 PM, Mario Loriedo wrote:
Hi all,

Recently we have discussed a proposal to make the parents "registry" field mandatory <https://github.com/devfile/api/issues/386#issuecomment-816287581> in the devfild v2 spec.

For example:

|parent: # NOT VALID id: nodejs

and|

|parent: # VALID registry: registry.devfile.io <http://registry.devfile.io> id: nodejs

The reason is to enforce repeatable workspaces: if the registry is not explicitly specified Che, odo or any consumer of the devfile, will pick its default registry and the resulting workspace will depend on the local definition of the parent.

The drawback is that when using a local or custom devfile registry (as we do for Che today) the devfile registry URL is unknown until the deployment. The getting started devfiles should be patched with the correct URL. If the devfile registry URL is updated by the admin the example devfiles should be updated too.

With devfile 2.0, my understanding is that we'll be moving the Getting Started devfiles into the sample project repositories. If that's the case, how will we be able to patch these devfiles?

We currently do not use parents in our sample but we plan to in the next months and the same applies when we reference che-theia plugins registry in che-theia-plugins.yaml files.

Can you expand upon this a bit? I'm not sure I understand how it will work with plugins.

Thanks,
Eric

Back to the top