Re: [che-dev] Single User Eclipse Che - does the community need it?

Hi.

Let me respond with a few bits, in the context of my post just a few
minutes ago "Single-User Eclipse Che in a Vagrant VM for local/offline
development env." [0].

That post makes a case for a possible need for a single user mode. Of
course, in the same kind of VM, I could also quite well run PostgreSQL,
keycloak, etc. but this is a bit overbloat (I have such a setup in
another branch of the same repo [1]).

I'm a newcomer to the community, so I don't know how much that can count
for the whole community.

Regarding the -m option, I think it would probably make sense to keep
multi-user the default for chectl, and have a --singleuser option
instead.

The way I managed to make it work with singleuser without having to
provide a che-operator-cr-patch-yaml was to use helm, otherwise, with
operator, the default was multiuser at all times.

Whatever the decision, there's currently some inconsistency from my POV,
where I would expect operator or helm to have the same defaults... but I
may be overlooking some aspects, being relatively new to k8s and having
taught it to myself ;-)

My 2 cents,

Regards,

[1] https://gitlab.com/olberger/vagrant-minikube-eclipse-che/-/tree/master