[che-dev] New model for Che 7 plugin meta.yaml - incompatible changes

Hello, all.

As part of the merging meta.yaml and che-plugin.yaml  (issue https://github.com/eclipse/che/issues/12908) we are about to do some changes in Che that are not backward compatible.

Even though it is backward incompatible change for plugins it WON'T break existing workspaces if they are not using Che 7 plugins hosted in custom registries. If you didn't put custom plugin registry reference in your workspace config manually you are fine and change should not affect you.

It will affect custom registries though. To see how to migrate custom registries see https://github.com/eclipse/che-plugin-registry/pull/135 and https://github.com/eclipse/che/issues/12908#issuecomment-474312103.

We have already merged changes in Che plugin registry https://github.com/eclipse/che-plugin-registry/pull/135 but they are not enabled in Che yet. After PR https://github.com/eclipse/che-plugin-broker/pull/55 is merged we will update Che to use this new model for meta.yaml.
You can follow its status in PR https://github.com/eclipse/che/pull/13276 that brings it to Che.

We are very sorry for the inconvenience it can bring.