Re: [che-dev] Exposing Eclipse Che on minishift outside a single host

On 5/1/19 1:14 AM, Dave Neary wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I have installed minishift on an Intel NUC for use as a demo host for a
> conference. The idea is to have 2 laptops connected to the Che instance
> using a switch and connecting to the OpenShift and Che instance which
> will be running headless.
>
> When I start a minishift VM, tyhe VM IP address is automatically
> allocated in 192.168.42.252 - an IP address that is routed by
> libvirt-net from inside the NUC, so I can SSH into the minishift VM
> fine. However, this IP address doesn't route from any other host.
>
> What is the recommended way to bridge from another host to Che running
> in a minishift VM?
>
> Thanks,
> Dave.

Hi Dave,

There are some options listed in the (rather lengthy) "Can I connect to minishift from another pc/laptop?" Minishift issue [1].

TL;DR: It should be possible by either deploying Minishift to an existing machine [2] (in order to use the libvirt bridged network), or by using SSH tunneling.

SSH tunneling seems to be the easier (if a bit more restrictive) option. You need to bind Minishift to localhost and then (on the other machine) open SSH tunnels for all required ports. See [3, 4] for details.

Btw, it's also possible to expose Minishift to the world by using a service such as ngrok [5].

Regards,
Robert

[1] https://github.com/minishift/minishift/issues/1287
[2] https://docs.openshift.org/latest/minishift/using/run-against-an-existing-machine.html