Re: [che-dev] TODO bot for Eclipse Che repositories

+1

On Fri, Dec 21, 2018 at 6:00 PM Serhii Leshchenko <sleshche@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
TODOs bot issue happens for me again =)

It there are not any objections - will create an issue
on https://bugs.eclipse.org/bugs/ to disable TODOs bot for
Eclipse Che repository.

Regards,
Sergii.

On Wed, Dec 5, 2018 at 12:34 PM Serhii Leshchenko <sleshche@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Hi, folks

I wanted to raise a topic about enabling TODO bot in Eclipse Che repositories.

Why I'm raising it:
I have WIP Pull Request which I created to get early feedback and make issue progress more visible. I have several TODOs there to track what should be done before merging.
I'm using git rebase instead of merge to keep my git history clean and clear.
And because of that TODO bot spams my PR with unneeded comments after each rebasing that will make PR review process harder. There were like 3-4 screens of TODO bot's comments.
I removed these comments, but github still shows 1 screen messages that TODO bot's comments were removed.

What I want to discuss:
Is TODO bot needed for eclipse Che repositories?
I like the idea of this bot in general, but:
1. It should be flexible enough:
  * Do not duplicate TODOs comments after rebasing
  * Do not track WIP PRs because an author is still working on PR and maybe even have plans to fix them before marking PR as ready to review.

2. The way how we work with TODOs should be well documented.
Previously, I used to use TODOs like `TODO Take a look`.
What will happen if I forget to fix it before merging? TODO bot will create an issue with a title `Take a look`. Is it really helpful?
I mean that we should make it clear that TODO will be automatically transformed to issue and TODO messages should be meaningful.

Maybe we should disable it or find the best configuration for us.

Please, provide your thoughts about TODOs bot here. Hopefully, the right solution would appear in the discussion.

Thanks!

--

Serhii Leshchenko

SENIOR SOFTWARE ENGINEER