[che-dev] che-incubator and chectl

Hi all,

Yesterday we have created a new github organization: https://github.com/che-incubator/ and moved there a project we have been working on during the last two weeks https://github.com/che-incubator/chectl (a new CLI for Che).

che-incubator organization is where we should create new repositories that cannot be created on the eclipse organization. Sometimes we work on a new Che feature/service/plugin that we want to share and integrate with other components but we cannot create an eclipse repository. For example:
- we don't have CQ approvals yet
- we are still not sure if and how we are going to promote it

We have used the ws-skeleton organisation in the past but it hadn't enough visibility and was meant to be temporary. We will move all the repositories from that organization into eclipse or che-incubator in the next weeks.

I have been adding all Che committers to the new organization but I may have forgotten someone, please let me know if this is the case.

The new CLI (chectl) main goal is to make it easier to deploy and run Che, especially on Kubernetes. It has been implemented in Typescript so that it's already possible to contribute to it using a Che 7 based workspace or che.openshift.io (and yes there is a factory for that). It is based on oclif, a powerful and extensible platform to build CLIs in typescript that has been recently released by Heroku (they use it to build their CLI).

chectl is really in its early stage but can already deploy Che on minikube/helm and start a workspace using a devfile. Here is a short video:

Feedbacks, issues and PRs are welcome!

Mario

Back to the top