[che-dev] Che stack for Apache Camel/Fuse projects

Hello,

I started to work to provide a Che stack for Apache Camel/Fuse projects.
I started by providing a stack in che stack community project for a specific Camel environment.
Currently I have a Community stack with samples https://github.com/che-samples/community-stacks/tree/master/apache-camel but it needs to be installed by users and there are no tests.

What are the requirements to have it directly integrated in Eclipse Che?
How tests are handled for Che stacks? (there are no tests in the community project)

To go further, I also started to play with a docker image to use in this Che stack (Currently having some hardcoded parts so not ready as-is). you can even watch a demo of the current proof of concept state here)
I copied a part from the Che Cent OS Spring Boot file
What are the requirements to have the Camel Docker file in this repository? How to test it? (I noticed no test in this repository either)
Camel requires the same kind of dependency with SpringBoot but with a different version. What is the best:
  • upgrade the current Che centOS Spring Boot image which is using a quite old version and use it
  • duplicate the dockerfile part related to the version
  • or is there a way to "extract function" in Dockerfiles?
I would like to integrate some other components which are currently providing only OpenShift image. Is there a way to use them?

I also noticed that we can have single-machine or multi-machine. Several questions comes to my mind:
  • What are the impacts?
  • Will it take more resources? How to calculate the increase?
  • How the multi-machine are communicating with each other?
  • What is the recommended way? How to choose between one or the other solution? I imagine that multi-machine is convenient if parts that we want to integrate are provided as Docker images (OpenShift images?) ?
Any help or guidelines on how to provide the Che stacks with good maintainability are very welcome.

regards,

--

AURÉLIEN PUPIER

SENIOR SOFTWARE ENGINEER, FUSE TOOLING