Re: [che-dev] CHE Single user - do we need it?

I'd say we might want to stop testing single user, but not get rid of it at all. I cannot think of a user case where a feature works in a heavily tested multi user but does not in a single user Che.

On Mon, Aug 27, 2018 at 6:42 PM, Dave Neary <dneary@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Hi,

On 08/27/2018 11:27 AM, Brad Micklea wrote:
> I agree with Angel. It's not something that's useful for our team, but
> for someone who is just wanting to quickly look at Che on their laptop
> with Docker for Mac / Docker for Windows it's super helpful because it
> downloads faster, needs fewer resources and has fewer potential
> problems. We need to keep it for that reason.

It comes down to how we expect people to adopt Che and become Che power
users.

The general path would be:

1. Visit Che website
2. Try che.openshift.io or another free publicly hosted Che
3. Download something I can try on my laptop (single user with docker or
single-user with minishift both satisfy this requirement, but the latter
is a lot heavier on resources)
4. Install Che for a proof of concept for a team (definitely multi-user
here, on Kubernetes or OpenShift Origin)

There is definitely some duplication between multi-user Che using
minishift and single-user Che in a single container, and the single-user
version is lighter, faster to get going, etc.

What is the cost of maintaining the single-user version, beyong the fact
that it makes communication about which version you should use a little
more complex?

Thanks,
Dave.

> On Mon, Aug 27, 2018 at 10:20 AM Angel Misevski <amisevsk@xxxxxxxxxx
> <mailto:amisevsk@xxxxxxxxxx>> wrote:
>
>     Hi Roman,
>
>     On 08/27/2018 09:44 AM, Roman Iuvshyn wrote:
>     > Hello everyone, I wanted to rise this $subject question.
>     > today QE team spend a lot of extra time to analyze CHE Single user
>     > daily testing reports on different infras / flavors and also we
>     waster
>     > a lot compute resources on CI to run these tests...
>     > Do we really still need to support CHE Single user package? Who is
>     > using that? May we drop it and have only one package of CHE Multiuser.
>     > In the past, we've been using single user CHE on docker because it
>     was
>     > easier for devs to do development things not related to multiuser
>     > features, but now we are using multiuser for development and testing
>     > because we use multiuser in PROD.
>     > I see only benefits of removing CHE Singe user package but I wonder
>     > what others think about it.
>     One issue with removing Che single user is that it's the only
>     version of
>     Che offered
>     as a minishift addon [1]. This is probably the easiest way for an
>     OpenShift-oriented user
>     to try Che on OpenShift.
>
>     Also I have some issues with the multi-user Che's memory requirements.
>     Running multi-
>     user locally would mean a laptop upgrade in my case; I just don't have
>     enough RAM to
>     do it. It's useful to be able to iterate quickly on single-user (e.g.
>     not pushing images,
>     quicker debugging) for issues that are unrelated to the
>     single/multi-user decision.
>
>     Cheers,
>
>     Angel
>
>     [1] - https://github.com/minishift/minishift/tree/master/addons/che
>

> --
>
> Brad Micklea // BU Lead // Developer Tools & Program //416.707.0792

Dave Neary - Open Source and Standards team
Red Hat - http://community.redhat.com
Ph: +1-978-399-2182 / Cell: +1-978-799-3338