[che-dev] GitHub Projects

Last week, GitHub introduced the concept of Projects. They are now shipping and available on our repositories.

My understanding is that they offer:
1. Kanban style boards with drag and drop.
2. A way to organize pull requests, issues, adn notes into a "work unit".

This seems like we could better organize our milestones and sprint plans using this technology.  Right now we are doing a lot of work related to creating sophisticated queries to show us the right views.

It seems that we could use projects in one of two ways:
1. Use them to visually organize an epic.
2. Use them to visually organize the work that must be completed for a milestone.

I think the way that GitHub lets us manage epics right now is suitable. The check box style is good enough.  So I think the default here is around a milestone.

Kanban boards are organized in different columns. So we could have a project for each milestone, and then a column for each team.

Another way to manage this is that we use projects to track multi-release "projects" that span across many milestones.

Whatever we decide here:
1. We need to update some of the docs in our wiki on the development process to reflect these items.
2. We got a request to add more details around the process we use to identity pull requests ready for merge, and the selection process for issues at the beginning of a sprint.

Tyler Jewell | CEO | tyler@​codenvy.​com | 9​78​.8​84​.53​55

Back to the top