Re: [che-dev] language server protocol

On 7/12/2016 11:50 AM, Tyler Jewell wrote:
<stuff deleted>

Would you like me to add them to this thread, attempt to set up a slack channel, or just start a new one with your private email? I think the guys you should be speaking with are Denis (IBM), Max / Gorkem (Red Hat), Evgen (Codenvy). and Sven (TypeFox).

Sure, whatever they and you prefer.

Since the protocol is entirely controlled by Microsoft right now - any *standards* for how language servers should be implemented architecturally outside of the specification will need to be packaged as frameworks.  Perhaps even net new Eclipse projects, for which I think Red Hat, IBM, and Codenvy are eager to do.

FWIW, this would make for a very concrete way to do this...i.e. design the LSP services in the open as service interface(s)/types as part of a multi-participant open project.  And it would logically make sense as separate from any impl.   And it could be versioned as the inevitable protocol changes/enhancements/standardization are made.

While the protocol is standardized, we will need more projects that support the frameworks around creating language servers and consuming them to make this really stick.

Again FWIW, making it easy to create and consume clients by having an abstracted set of service APIs in multiple environments can/would help with that, I would think.

My $0.03.

Scott

Back to the top