Re: [che-dev] language server protocol

On 7/7/2016 12:21 PM, Tyler Jewell wrote:
It is probably better suited to go into the github issues page for Che so that everyone will more easily see the questions.

Yes we have an implementation of the protocol in Che. It is currently in a branch and not let of our released product. We will release it later this quarter when we have a solid version of a registry to go with it.

The Java and C sharp bindings for the LSP for use in other IDEs are all open source.

Could you please provide a pointer to these bindings?

What did you have in mind?

The project I lead (ECF) provides a implementation of OSGi Remote Services and Remote Services Admin standards [1]. The spec and ECF's implementation allows distribution providers (rpc impls) to be plugged in, and so we support a variety distribution providers [2]...including jsonrpc (which is not yet on [2]).

It seems to me that since we already have a jsonrpc distribution provider, and that some impls of LSP already exist, that it would be straightforward to create an LSP client consisting of several/many/some number of OSGi remote 'micro' services. These would then be immediately usable not only in Eclipse, but also in/from other OSGi runtimes (e.g. Karaf, Websphere, Concierge, others). All the benefits of remote services (dynamics, discovery, injection, service dependency management, service interface separation from svc impl, others) would then be easily available for interacting with LSP servers. It would even be possible/easy to aggregate the services provided by multiple LSP servers.

Just gathering info at this point though.

One other question: Is there any proposed standardization mechanism under consideration for LSP?

Scott

[1] https://wiki.eclipse.org/Eclipse_Communication_Framework_Project
[2] https://wiki.eclipse.org/Distribution_Providers

Back to the top