[che-dev] Using TERN as ( a JavaScript Code Assistance ) backend service

Hello colleagues,

I already asked about code assistance implementation approach (client side vs. server side) about 1 year ago and your answer was that the server side processing looks more promising from the performance point of view.

Meanwhile, I implemented a lot of area specific logic at the client side via extension of old Orion client and see that the processing turns to be heavier and heavier. The main reason is the intensive interchange of project state info between client and server. For the big projects it produces dozens of roundtrips. In my case also libraries metadata is accessed via cloud services and it increases the data volume and number of roundtrips even further.

Looking at the recent eclipse-che version I see the tern based _javascript_ code assistance implementation where tern runs in the web worker, i.e. still at the client side. Is it the target architecture or some intermediate state of development? Have you any plans to move _javascript_ code assistance processing to the server side or this idea is not relevant anymore?

BR

Pavel Sosin

Back to the top