[che-dev] New Plug-In Structure

All:

In Che 3.13, we are introducing a plug-in packaging.  A plug-in is a package of one or more extensions (that you author) along with the associated artifacts that your extensions may need to inject into Che, such as source code for a code template, a new Dockerfile to be used when generating a machine, or a set of icons that must be loaded by your extension.

Your code, combined with these other artifacts, make up the plug-in.

There are a number of capabilities we are introducing:
1. Plugin ZIP format which can include 1..n extensions, machines, templates, and descriptor.

2. Plugin lifecycle, including the ability to stage a set of available plug-ins to be built into an assembly.

3. A new dashboard within che (http://localhost:8080/dashboard) which lets you visually manage plug-ins that are available, staged, or installed.  FYI, this dashboard will also soon ship with a set of dependency checks that will tell users if their underlying system has everything required to run Che properly.
Inline image 1

4. A drag-and-drop interface, which let's users drag a link from one web page into Che, letting Che perform discovery and download of the plugin from a nexus repository or file.

5. A set of built-in archetypes, which will generate default client-side, server-side, and multi-extension plug-ins that are ready for packaging.

Finally, we have expanded the Che docs, especially the materials related to authoring extensions that get packaged into Che.  A more thorough explanation of the Che loading sequence and how dependency injection works for Che has been provided.

These capabilities are now working in the master branch for 3.13.  We will probably do a 3.13.1 tag that contains these capabilities later this week.  Many of the existing plug-ins that are built, but not pre-installed into Che have been converted to use the new drag-and-drop capability.

We are seeking out additional testers - please any feedback is useful.

Tyler Jewell | CEO | tyler@​codenvy.​com | 9​78​.8​84​.53​55

Back to the top