From: cdt-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:cdt-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Miguel A. Figueroa-Villanueva
Sent: Wednesday, July 25, 2007 10:10 AM
To: cdt-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [cdt-dev] Eclipse CMake Generator

Hello Everyone,

I'm new to this list, so I'm not sure if this is the right place for

my question. If not, I apologize and I would sincerely appreciate any

pointers on where I could find this information.

I'm interested in developing a CMake generator for Eclipse CDT. CMake

is a build generation tool like SCons, which will take an input file

(CMakeLists.txt) and create the project files of your choice (e.g.,

Visual Studio, Unix Makefiles, XCode, etc.). It has been adopted as

the build management tool for KDE 4.

So, what I would like is to add support to cmake to be able to create

the Eclipse project files from the CMakeLists.txt. The problem that

I'm facing is that I'm not really familiar with Eclipse... In an

attempt to sort out how difficult this task would be, I would like to

get help answering a few questions:

1. I assume that I only need to generate the .project and .cproject

files for the project and then import it with the eclipse gui. Is this

reasonable or am I missing something that is necessary for enabling

someone to open a project with eclipse and start compiling?

[Mikhail] Creating the .project and .cproject files should be enough, although if possible, I strongly encourage you to create the project programmatically using eclipse/CDT API instead of generating the .project and .cproject files yourself since the format of those files is internal and could be changed at any time. You might want to look at the CDT Build System New Project wizard implementation to see how the project is created programmatically. (void org.eclipse.cdt.managedbuilder.ui.wizards.MBSWizardHandler.createProject(IProject project, boolean defaults, boolean onFinish) throws CoreException;
and IProject org.eclipse.cdt.ui.wizards.CDTCommonProjectWizard.createIProject(String name, IPath location) throws CoreException
)

2. Can I have the .project/.cproject files in a directory different

from where the sources are?

[Mikhail] It is possible using the “linked resource” concept. See the “New Folder” wozard implementation (org.eclipse.ui.wizards.newresource.BasicNewFolderResourceWizard). If you need to generate the project files youself, then the link information is specified in the “linkedResources” section of the .project file.

3. Is there a document somewhere that describes the format of the

.project/.cproject files?

[Mikhail] I don’t know of any documentation regarding the file formats. Note again that the project files format is internal and is subject to change.

Regards,

Mikhail

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide me with.

--Miguel