[cdt-dev] Eclipse CMake Generator

Hello Everyone,

I'm new to this list, so I'm not sure if this is the right place for
my question. If not, I apologize and I would sincerely appreciate any
pointers on where I could find this information.

I'm interested in developing a CMake generator for Eclipse CDT. CMake
is a build generation tool like SCons, which will take an input file
(CMakeLists.txt) and create the project files of your choice (e.g.,
Visual Studio, Unix Makefiles, XCode, etc.). It has been adopted as
the build management tool for KDE 4.

So, what I would like is to add support to cmake to be able to create
the Eclipse project files from the CMakeLists.txt. The problem that
I'm facing is that I'm not really familiar with Eclipse... In an
attempt to sort out how difficult this task would be, I would like to
get help answering a few questions:

1. I assume that I only need to generate the .project and .cproject
files for the project and then import it with the eclipse gui. Is this
reasonable or am I missing something that is necessary for enabling
someone to open a project with eclipse and start compiling?

2. Can I have the .project/.cproject files in a directory different
from where the sources are?

3. Is there a document somewhere that describes the format of the
.project/.cproject files?

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide me with.

--Miguel

Back to the top