Re: [cdt-dev] New plugins for the make builder

Comments below...

Sean Evoy wrote:

David,
That all sounds great. Just so I am clear,
- pull builder out of cdt.core and move to new plugin.
- create new nature for standard make.
So, the cbuilder will be associated with the new standard make nature, not the cnature, right?
Correct.

- move make builder options (ui page) to it own property page (currently

the build settings tab under C/C++ Project page.)
Don't forget the paths and symbols tab (or whatever equivalent you want to provide). We added that because the scanner clients require it from all builders.
Yes, this will require some more discussion, we here have an idea on how this could be handled, but we need
to get down on paper.

- move make view to new plugins
If you mean the CView, this decision has me stumped. What's the motivation for moving this file out of the internal UI package? Will other builder suppliers potentially replace this view? What's the mechanism for replacing it?
No, not CView.. the 'Make Target' view. I don't think its visible by default anywhere.

- add the following new options for the builder.
   - directory to run build command in.
   - options to run build on auto, incremental or full.
- ability to specify the default build target for each build type (auto/incremental/full) .
Stupid question, but you aren't thinking about changing the org.eclipse.cdt.core.CommandLauncher API to accommodate these new options, right?
Nope, looks like its already supports the working directory stuff the rest is handled by the builder.

- turn make actions into contributions (CView).
- create new dialog to launch/create user-define targeted builds other than 'all', 'clean' and 'clean all' (Note would use an underlying public API so that the managed build could add any targets it create on the project).
I am potentially very happy. How does this jive with what Gene Sally has done so far?

It would remove the MakeAction stuff in CView. which is fairly localized.

- create a convert action for old project to move them to the new nature/builder. (for backward compatibility)

Thoughts, comments?

Great plan. If I might add one suggestion, we could reduce the out-of-the-box pain for users if the new project wizard for the standard builder generated a skeletal makefile with 'all' and 'clean' targets defined. Ping me if you want to discuss stuff further.
Yep, though I might suggest that its has a check box option as to whether to do this or not, plus we could also take this further and have a preference for what the default makefile should be...

Sean Evoy
Rational Software - IBM Software Group
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada