Re: [cdt-dev] Task Tags on Project Properties Page/Time for Voting?

Two points,

1) Sean, please send messages to this list as plain text.  The digest gets
messed up when you don't.

2) Good point on the TODO tags.  This is another feature that went in
without proper review.  Also, whatever you are doing Sean with natures
needs to be reviewed (every C/C++ project should have the cnature, if you
need new natures, do that instead).

I'm starting to think that it is time to start voting on patches.  New
features are getting in through the patch list without review.  With so
many contributors putting work in, and I appreciate everyone's efforts in
this, but I think the committers need to start clamping down on what they
are committing.  In the end, the CDT needs to be of the highest quality
since we are including it in commercial products and to do that we need to
show constraint.

I would suggest that each patch needs the agreement of at least two
committers (preferably from different companies) with no descenters.
Essentially every committer has a veto.  The PMC should have the right to
overrule any vetoes to make sure we don't get stuck in an impasse.  I'm
not sure if this is the eclipse way, but it'll ease us into a bit of
formality here.

Thoughts?

Doug Schaefer, Senior Software Developer
IBM Rational Software, Ottawa, Ontario, Canada

Sean Evoy/Ottawa/IBM@IBMCA
Sent by: cdt-dev-admin@xxxxxxxxxxx
07/07/2003 05:09 PM
Please respond to
cdt-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx

cdt-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
cc

Subject
[cdt-dev] Task Tags on Project Properties Page

Hi,
Now that I am thinking about property pages, what was the motivation for
allowing the user to set task tags for a specific project? Obviously, this
is a workspace preference, and there is UI support to add, remove and edit
tags in the preference page. So, what work-flow are we supporting by
allowing the user to override this at the project level? Do we really
think that a lot of users are going to change only the priority of a tag
frequently enough to justify another property page? Or are they going to
create an overridden TODO tag just for one project? The reason I ask is
that currently the tag property page is associated with the cnature. If a
project does not have the cnature, this page will not show up.

Sean Evoy
Rational Software - IBM Software Group
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada

Back to the top