RE: [cdt-dev] objdump/addr2line problems

> > For a non-managed project, yes, I can see where you
> > might want to explicitly set the binary parser to use.
> >
> > For a managed build project - one that identifies a build
> > target, and a toolchain to use when building for that target -
>
> addr2line, objdump, nm, etc ..  are not necessaryly Build tools.

No - but they are generally associated with build tools as
part of the toolchain as a whole.  In other words, given a
set of build tools, there's generally a set of associated
tools (addr2line, objdump, nm, etc.) that are intended for
manipulating the output from those build tools.

> If you really want this, I would advocate to define an interface
> on what the tools should do:
>
> public interface IAddr2line {
>
> 	String getFilename();
>
> 	int getLinenumber();
>
> 	int getAddress();
> }
>
> etc ..

This is more along the lines of what I had in mind: given a
project, query for the toolchain associated with the project.
Once you obtain the toolchain, query for the tools used to
convert program addresses to line info, cast the interface
to IAddr2Line, and use that interface to drive the tool.

-Samrobb

Back to the top