Re: [cdt-dev] Torture tests (was Re: Applied [HEAD]: Second attempt at [cdt-patch] Fix for PR 39501)

I inspected some of the failed tests as well and saw things that were definitely not ANSI that gcc gobbles up.  Our support of ANSI C99 hasn't been as thorough as ANSI C++ but it should be.

I would say for the time being, our support is limited to the latest ANSIs and also GNU, as its our preferred platform.  K&R is the only exception to this rule.

The problem with supporting too many variants in the same parser is that performance suffers due to excessive backtracking and investigating paths that never work, and the code becomes obfuscated.  I would hope that we could subclass parsers and then add more options to ParserFactory.createParser() to allow for the client to choose the variant.  This may be something else that needs to be managed through the build extension point with the IScannerInfoProvider family of interfaces.

If you plan on putting anything in the current parser to help it accept something that is GNU but non-ANSI, please mark it with a comment so that way if we restructure things later we'll know where to look.

JohnC

"Victor Mozgin" <vic_mozgin@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent by: cdt-dev-admin@xxxxxxxxxxx

07/03/2003 03:28 PM

Please respond to
cdt-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx

<cdt-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
cc
Subject
[cdt-dev] Torture tests (was Re: Applied [HEAD]: Second attempt at [cdt-patch] Fix for PR 39501)

        That was the idea. I took some time to analyze ~400 failures we had before, and added filters for the things that are not relevant. Now all these ~100 failures are real problems that need to be fixed. All of them are reported in bugzilla (you've probably seen ~25 new parser/scanner PRs ;) ), except some template instantiation/specialization cases I am not sure about. So after all these cases are resolved, the failure count will be about zero. I am planning to add simplified tests for these PRs into FailedTests, so it won't be necessary to run TortureTest all the time.
        Now, question: what C/C++ variants do we want to support in CDT? For instance, there are K&R C, C89/C90, C94/C95, C9X/C99. C99 has several features that CDT does not support yet...

        /Vic