[cdt-dev] Communication with the compiler

Currently, the CDT parses the human-readable output from the compiler and creates tasks out of those. There are a couple of problems with this approach:

1. If the compiler output is localized (like in newer gcc:s), the error / warning classifications (and possibly other parts of the message parsing) will break.

2. If some sort of "quick fix" machinery is ever to be implemented for the CDT, the CDT needs to understand what the compiler is complaining about. If the compiler's error / warning messages get modified / localized, that understanding will break.

In the long term, I think this will have to be dealt with in some way. One way may be to ask the compiler developers for some kind of "machine interface" similar to what gdb provides currently.

Any other ideas?

I'm trying to bring this up early enough that if some sort of support from the compiler developers is deemed to be helpful, they will have some time to do something about that.

  Cheers //Johan

Back to the top