[cdi-dev] Decision making process in CDI spec

In today's CDI meeting, we discussed how to make decisions when there are split views. As you know, after some lengthy discussion, we need to make decisions for some technical issues.

I took a todo and brought this up today's Jakarta EE spec committee meeting today for some guidance. In the meeting, I was told that each spec has the freedom to choose the decision making process. Eclipse Foundation might come up with a recommendation but the adoption is optional. With this in mind, we can make our own decision making process. After we have agreed on the decision making process, we need to document it clearly.

A couple of suggestions:

Option A: simple majority of committers' votes.

e.g. if we have 9 committers and solution A is put up for a vote,
solution A will be accepted if 5 or more committers vote +1.

Non-committers are encouraged to vote but they are counted as non-binding votes.

Option B: super majority (2/3) of committers' votes.

e.g. if we have 9 committers and solution A is put up for a vote,
solution A will be accepted if  6 or more committers vote +1.

Non-committers are encouraged to vote but they are counted as non-binding votes.

Feel free to add more options.

Thoughts?

--
Thanks