Re: [basyx-dev] Complete Basyx example

Dear Nicolas,

> My goal, is to add the Basyx layer to this simulated factory, so that the properties and services of the machines can be accessed through an Industry 4.0 - compliant protocol.
> Is this possible or should basyx elements be included from the get-go?

This is absolutely possible and is also a relevant use case for industry. If you take a look at small or middle-sized enterprises, there's often a brown field, i.e. a lot of legacy devices. This devices need to be integrated in Industry 4.0 to create a realistic migration path. https://wiki.eclipse.org/BaSyx_Device_integration describes different types of integration.

> Is it necessary to use the devices classes (org.eclipse.basyx.components.device) as the basic devices, or can I skip this level of modules and starts with control components?

These classes are meant to support the integration. If the integration is possible without them, then you can of course skip them. However, the currently implemented control component integrates nicely with org.eclipse.basyx.components.device.BaseSmartDevice.

> Can you provide me with an example Basyx implementation of a simple factory element, from field level to middleware level? (with updated properties and services)

This integration depends heavily on how the factory element looks like. Is there a native communication that needs to be wrapped? Is there already a service-oriented approach or does it need to be created first?
However, there's an example in the example project (org.eclipse.basyx.examples.mockup.device.SmartBaSyxTCPDeviceMockup). This shows how a device can be connected to the AAS infrastructure using ControlComponents.

Best regards,
Frank

M.Sc. Frank Schnicke
Abteilung ESW
Fraunhofer IESE
Fraunhofer-Platz 1 | 67663 Kaiserslautern
Tel: +49 631 / 6800-2259 | Fax: +49 631 / 6800-9-2259
www.iese.fraunhofer.de