[aspectj-users] Re: please help: heap space ballooning when I use aspectJ with my webapplication

Hello Andy,

My AspectJ version is 1.6.8 and sun JDK version is 1.6.0_07

Hello Simone,

Thank you very much for the helpful explanations, especially regarding
memory usage of AspectJ components. I am indeed using LTW using the agent.
My web application without AspectJ used to always 'stabilize' at 150 to 250
MB tops (values as seen from windows task manager). With AspectJ and my
aspects it gets to 750 - 800MB within 2 minutes of browsing. If I don't
browse in my webapp, the memory consumed barely increases since start, at
least not at the rate when I do browse (suggesting that the jsp pages
browsed are being woven after compilation).

> " You could try performing compile time weaving,...."
Since I want my dynamic JSP classes to be weaved, I don't think I can use
compile time weaving unless I'm missing something in which case please point
out.

Regarding JoinPoint class usage, For the most part, I almost always used the
JoinPointStaticPart class.

The redeploy issue was also interesting although as you correctly mentioned,
my webapp is not being redeployed when its already up. I do have two almost
identical web apps that get loaded together though. I am mainly using only
one of them.

In my pointcuts, I almost always use a within() and execution() combination
to identify method calls. I even disabled the one pointcut where I didn't
use a within and the memory issue was still there.

At the worst case, I'm thinking of having a timer thread that periodically
does System.gc() every time the free memory falls below a certain
percentage.

Is there anything informative in the heap dump? Please help! Thanks again!

-Arvind