[ajdt-dev] Plugin split

Hi everyone,

It looks like we should rearrange our plugin structure a little. It
wouldn't affect end-users but would probably have implications for anyone
making use of the AJDT plugins in some other way. The details are in bug
73998, but the basic solution is to split the org.eclipse.ajdt plugin into
two: org.eclipse.ajdt.ui for the UI parts, and org.eclipse.ajdt for the
non-UI parts. I think the plugin is now large enough for this arrangement
to make sense, and it would allow people to make use of core AJDT
functionality without becoming dependent on the Eclipse UI. The approach
would be to rename the current org.eclipse.ajdt plugin to
org.eclipse.ajdt.ui (its plugin id is org.eclipse.ajdt.ui already!), then
carefully move over pieces of core functionality to the org.eclipse.ajdt
plugin (with matching plugin id).

So the main purpose of this post is to see if this change will cause a big
problem for anyone.

Whilst we're on the topic please also consider bug 62625, which considers
splitting aspectrt.jar out of the org.eclipse.ajde plugin and into its own
plugin, such as org.aspectj.runtime, so that AJ plugins don't need to
depend on the rather large org.eclipse.ajde plugin.

Now I see how eclipse projects start out with a couple of plugins and then
end up with hundreds :)

Regards,

Matt.

--