Re: [wtp-releng] Versioning Question

Yes. Using the exact same qualifier is the best thing to do. I often find it easiest to not use the releng tool in these cases, but just use 'merge', for both the code and the map file, so there's less room for typing mistakes, forgotten changes, etc.

If you want to know more, then I'll say that technically it is not strictly necessary. Technically, the rule is more like hashcode, if the code is different, the version/qualifier must be different, but if the version/qualifier is different, that does not mean the code is necessarily different.

But, practically speaking, that hashcode rule is confusing and seldom really needed, so best to think of it more like equals.

At least, that's my opinion.

Inactive hide details for Gary Karasiuk ---01/29/2009 08:37:26 AM---A long time ago we branched the wst.common.ui groups of proGary Karasiuk ---01/29/2009 08:37:26 AM---A long time ago we branched the wst.common.ui groups of projects, with R3_0_maintenance. I have a p

Gary Karasiuk <karasiuk@xxxxxxxxxx>

Webtools releng discussion list <wtp-releng@xxxxxxxxxxx>

01/29/2009 08:37 AM

[wtp-releng] Versioning Question

Sent by:

wtp-releng-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx

A long time ago we branched the wst.common.ui groups of projects, with R3_0_maintenance. I have a plug-in org.eclipse.wst.validation.ui, that ever since the branch, has had both HEAD and R3_0_maintenance in lockstep. (i.e. every time I changed the 3.0.4 branch, I would make the same change to the HEAD branch, but I didn't have any changes for just the HEAD branch.

When I release the 3.1 version, should I be careful, and be using the exact same qualifier that I used when I released the changes on the 3.0.4 branch?

Gary Karasiuk, RAD Performance Analyst
karasiuk@xxxxxxxxxx
TL-969-3985, external: (905)-413-3985[attachment "smime.p7s" deleted by David M Williams/Raleigh/IBM] _______________________________________________
wtp-releng mailing list