----Original Message Follows----
From: Jim des Rivieres <Jim_des_Rivieres@xxxxxxxxxx>
To: pde-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx

Mutual dependendencies between projects are strongly discouraged because
it is difficult for project builders, which build projects one at a time,
to work incrementally.  I suggest you either putting all the the code in a
single plug-in. Projects can have multiple source (and output) folders, so
it is possibly to keep code within a single project segregated. The other
option is to refactor the code between plug-ins so that the dependency is
one-way.

---jim

Vaishali De <vde@xxxxxxxx>
Sent by: pde-dev-admin@xxxxxxxxxxx
03/18/2004 10:25 AM
Please respond to
pde-dev

pde-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
cc

Subject
[pde-dev] Plug-in Dependency Problem

Hello,

I am a computer science graduate student at UIUC, working with Prof. Ralph
Johnson on an IBM project; we are building an IDE for fortran.

I ran across a problem related to plug-in dependencies and was hoping
someone might know what I need to be doing about it.

Consider 2 plug-ins A and B. I need to call code in plug-in B from plug-in
A. So I added plug-in B to the "Dependencies" in plug-in A's plugin.xml
file. That worked fine, and I am able to access code as required. However,
now I need to call code in plug-in A from plug-in B. When I tried to add
plug-in A to plug-in B's "Dependencies", I got a compile-time error that
said "A cycle was detected in the classpath of project: <name of project
in plug-in A>"

I had added plug-in B to the classpath (and Java Build Path in the
Properties of the project) of plug-in A so that I could access code from
there in plug-in A.

Does anyone know how I can have this two-way dependency relationship
between plug-ins?

-Vaishali