Re: [papyrus-ic] Dassault acquisition of NoMagic

Comments inline below

On 2017-11-07, at 13:16 , GERARD Sebastien <Sebastien.GERARD@xxxxxx> wrote:

See my answers below.
De : papyrus-ic-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:papyrus-ic-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx] De la part de Mike Milinkovich
Envoyé : mardi 7 novembre 2017 19:11
À : papyrus-ic@xxxxxxxxxxx
Objet : Re: [papyrus-ic] Dassault acquisition of NoMagic

Okay, I will ask the dumb questions, because I honestly don't know the ins and outs of this market segment.
  • Does No Magic use any of the Eclipse Modeling technologies such as EMF?
SG > I don’t think so.
<cr>
Actually, they do use EMF. I believe they also experimented with CDO at some point - not sure of the result.
They have also developed interfaces to Eclipse tools, as well as having developed documentation about integrating MagicDraw to Eclipse. All that should be on their web site.
</cr>
  • Is MagicDraw competitive to Papyrus, Polarsys or Eclipse Modeling?
SG > Yes, completely competitive to Papyrus
<cr>
  As Seb states, yes, absolutely. They also have a very large mind share when it comes to SysML modeling.
</cr>
  • Is this an opportunity to draw Dassault into an engagement with the Eclipse Modeling community?
SG > To my knowledge, until now at least, open source is not part of the DS strategy. It was also not part of the strategy of NoMagic.
<cr>
In my dealings with Dassault Systems in the past (and in another company), I would agree with Seb’s view. They have been very closed in their dealings and not very receptive to offers of collaboration. But we’re talking around 10-15 years ago…perhaps they have changed? Or perhaps a French company would have more luck?

Back to the top