[orion-dev] Orion June freeze plan

During a planning session last week, Simon, Boris and I drafted an end-game for Orion as we approach our June release. Because of the early stage of the Orion project this differs from the freeze plan we are used to seeing in the Eclipse project. The outline is:

M7 - April 29th
M8/RC0 - June 3rd (5 weeks)
RC1 - June 10 (1 week)
RC2 - June 17 (1 week)
RC3 - June 24 (1 week)

We will be continuing to work on new features until the M8 date of June 3rd. After that will be a relatively short end-game of bug fixing, polish, and performance work before we declare the release. We also came up with three general themes that all of our work over the next three months should relate to. Because we only have about nine weeks of real development left, we need to start aggressively pruning out work that doesn't fit into these focus areas:

1) Self Hosting - functionality that is *required* for us to be able to self-host our own client development on orion.eclipse.org.
2) High Value Integrations - Work to enable the community to start writing plug-ins for Orion, and to integrate parts of Orion into their own projects. By "high value" we mean "biggest bang for the buck" - small changes we can make within Orion to enable a big class of integrations to happen.
3) Structural Changes - In a number of places we cut corners early on to get us going quickly. We need to revisit some of those areas to ensure the Orion implementation is in good shape going forward. This includes work on security, performance, thread safety, and adopting newer libraries such as Dojo 1.6 and RequireJS.

Comments/questions/concerns about the schedule and priorities are welcome. For more details see:

http://wiki.eclipse.org/Orion/Milestone_Plan

John

Back to the top