Re: [omr-dev] Is the project still alive?

Hi Raffaello,

Documentation is certainly one of this project's current weak spots :( .

We have mostly high level "fluffy" docs at our web site
(https://www.eclipse.org/omr) and a very small amount of low level
documentation on a few specific areas in the repo (see
https://github.com/eclipse/omr/tree/master/doc). In some areas (e.g.
JitBuilder APIs) we have been trying to incrementally improve
documentation alongside the code itself, and there are parts of the
code base that have been historically well documented (see code in
e.g. gc and port directories), even if we don't always have the high
level picture documented.

We also have a number of blog articles on different topics you can
find at our DeveloperWorks Open site:
https://developer.ibm.com/code/open-source-ibm/eclipse-omr/

None of this is what you're looking for, sadly, and its lack is something
we've regretted for a long time (without, somehow, doing much about
it :( ).

In lieu of more comprehensive documentation, we do have a number of
open source language ports that show how some of the integration
should work. Here are a list of some other open source projects
currently leveraging Eclipse OMR components, not all of which you
may have heard about:

1) The simplest one is an integer calculator language called Base9,
written in a day with a JitBuilder based JIT written on the second
day. We have a short workshop designed around this project, which
has received positive feedback (you can find in the repo too):
        https://github.com/youngar/Base9

We have some thoughts for how the GC and other components should be
introduced as part of this Base9 project, but we haven't yet got that
out there, I'm afraid.

2) The Ruby+OMR Tech Preview is something we've talked quite a bit about.
The current work on this language port resides here:
        https://github.com/rubyomr-preview/ruby

3) Lua Vermelha is a JIT written for Lua 5.3, also based on the JitBuilder
library. You can find it here:
        https://github.com/Leonardo2718/lua-vermelha

4) The Rosie Pattern Language, at its core, uses a small pattern matching
engine called "lpeg" which I wrote a small JitBuilder based JIT for.
Probably the most interesting part for people interested in Eclipse
OMR is in this repo:
        https://github.com/mstoodle/rosie-lpeg

If you have questions about these, it's probably best that you reach out
at each of the projects, but those people are also listening on this
mailing list.

There are at least three other language ports that I know of that
aren't (yet, I hope) available as open source right now, and I know of
several academic projects that have started up using the Eclipse OMR
project.

5) Finally, IBM announced at Java One last year that it would open source
the J9 Java Virtual Machine, which is built from (and pulls commits every
hour) from Eclipse OMR. Although there are no promises in these things,
and I want to be clear that I am *not* speaking for IBM (despite my
email address), I think it's likely you'll be able to see that J9 code
before the end of the year.

I know that's not exactly what you were asked for, but hopefully it gives
you some places to poke around if you're interested to learn more.

And please do not hesitate to ask more questions if there's something
specific you would like to understand better.

--mark