Re: [mdt-ocl.dev] Java Versions

I personally use Java 6 to run my IDE, but only have the JRE1.5 configured in my Eclipses, all projects I work on being configured to have 1.5 compatibility.

"Laurent, have you tested an Indigo Acceleo + OCL in a Eclipse Ganymede ?¿? I'm very sceptical about this ;P"

Acceleo is dependant on OCL and can't be run without it, so Acceleo + OCL is mandatory :). That being said, Acceleo 3.0.2 and Acceleo 3.1.0M6 are both tested in Eclipse 3.4 - EMF 2.4, Eclipse 3.5 - EMF 2.5, Eclipse 3.6 - EMF 2.6 and Eclipse 3.7M6 - EMF 2.7M6. We strive to maintain compatibility so that our users can install the latest Acceleo version in older Eclipses. Agreed, this isn't simple everyday, and we do have limitations (for example, an Acceleo generator compiled in 3.7 (with the latest OCL) has good chances of not being executable in 3.4 (because of the new OCL features that might have been used). The code to maintain such compatibility layers is ... awful (remember the API breakage in OCL where "OclInvalid" and "invalid" were inversed between 3.4 and 3.5?)... but we have a way to infer the proper OCL version in use and delegate to reflexive code (or even code that does not compile in the older eclipses) in such cases. OCL using Java 6-only features wouldn't leave us any chance on a "compatibility layer" : to use java 6 code, you need a java 6 VM.

Laurent Goubet
Obeo