[leshan-dev] Conceptual questions for using LWM2M with NB-IoT

Hi everyone, I hope you guys are doing okay during these times of the pandemic!

We are currently evaluating the use of LWM2M via CoAP for low-powered NB-IoT devices. I have two key questions and would love if anybody could shed some light on those for me.

1. Registration
It is my understanding that typically LWM2M devices extend their registration regularly. However, in a scenario where we have to optimize for battery life, we ideally would eliminate the need to “re-register”. Would it be possible to sort of register devices in the factory (factory provisioning) and configure Leshan in a way that it does not require registration extending for 12 to 18 months?

2. Observe
NB-IoT does not cater for cloud initiated requests to devices. Typically, NB-IoT devices wake up and send date from the device to the cloud and go back to sleep, so cloud initiated requests cannot reach them. Does that completely rule out observe use cases for NB-IoT devices? Will LWM2M really work as expected given this “major” constraint?

Thanks for taking the time to look into this.

Ralf

Back to the top