Re: [leshan-dev] Ability to send over Firmware update to Wakamma device using Block2 option.

That helps. Thank you for your response Achim ! I will forward this on to our embedded team.

From: Kraus Achim (INST/ESY4) <Achim.Kraus@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: "leshan-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx" <leshan-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Tuesday, November 24, 2015 1:23 AM
Subject: Re: [leshan-dev] Ability to send over Firmware update to Wakamma device using Block2 option.

Hi Joey,

though I just subscribed right now, I hope my late answer is mapped proper :-).

> Looking at the code the embedded team has informed me that 'Block2' is implemented
Hm, I have my doubts, if this really works :-), but may be ...

There is no way to send a request payload using option BLOCK 2, because the spec defines to use BLOCK 1 for requests payload.
BLOCK 2 is used for response payload, therefore you can only transfer payload with BLOCK 2 in a response.
Using BLOCK 2 in the request would just inform the server of your preferred blocksize in a response.

If you are interested in information how it should work:

LWM2M specifies two alternatives for Firmware Update:

1. Server push Firmware:
Server writes binary firmware to /5/0/0 (CoAP PUT with large payload => blockwise request with option BLOCK 1).

2. Client download Firmware:
Server writes URI of firmware to /5/0/1 (CoAP PUT e.g. "coap://host/file/firmware").
Client then downloads the firmware using the URI. If the URI is a COAP URI, this is done by sending a COAP GET URI. Though the payload of the response is too large for one message, it is transferred as blockwise response with option BLOCK 2.
For this scenario you also need a "COAP" Fileserver; may be by extending leshan for this purpose with a additional ("none LWM2M") "File"-CoapResource.

(The firmware update object in the wakaama client simply reports 2.04 when writing to /5/0/1, so you will need a lot of changes to make it working.)

Mit freundlichen Grüßen / Best regards

Achim Kraus

Bosch Software Innovations GmbH
Communications (INST/ESY4)
Stuttgarter Straße 130
71332 Waiblingen
GERMANY
www.bosch-si.de
www.blog.bosch-si.com

Registered office: Berlin, Register court: Amtsgericht Charlottenburg, HRB 148411 B
Executives: Dr.-Ing. Rainer Kallenbach; Michael Hahn