[jsp-dev] Housekeeping

Hi all,

Some of you may have noticed EL 5.0.1 has been released. I don't think this is going to require an immediate Pages release but I'd like to get everything prepared both in case that changes and so the EL update doesn't get forgotten.

The Pages version in the master branch has already been prepared for Pages 4.0 development. Shortly, I plan to do the following:

- Rename the Pages 3.1.0 branch (created at the same point Pages 3.1.0
  was tagged) to 3.1.x and ensure that it is prepared for Pages 3.1.1
  development (I think it should have been by the release process)

I then intend to update the EL dependency to EL 5.0.1 for both the Pages 3.1.x and master branches. I'm not going to update the Pages master branch to depend on EL 6.0.0 since that would require staging an EL 6.0.0 release and the EL project isn't ready for that.

Looking at the history, we don't appear to have done much concurrent development on multiple branches so are there views on how the community would prefer to apply the same fix to multiple branches? I think there are 2 main approaches:

A. Apply the fix to 5.0.x and then merge 5.0.x into master. The idea
   being any changes made to 5.0.x should normally also be made to
   master.

B. Apply the fix to master and then cherry-pick it for 5.0.x

I have used both approaches in the past. Personally, I find B slightly easier to get my head around but can work with either.

Thoughts?

Mark

Back to the top