[jsp-dev] Benefits of using PRs for all changes

In the thread on relaxing the commit restrictions the view was expressed that changes via PR are always preferable to direct commits. I'd like to explore that.

I can see the benefits for use PRs to discuss substantive changes. Fore this project I'm broadly thinking of a substantive change as something that is going to require a change/addition to the TCK - something that changes the specification.

I don't see the benefit of using PR to - for example - fix a typo, correct a copyright date, fix an IDE warning (e.g. add a missing @Override annotation etc.).

Generally, I don't like PRs because they are GitHub specific. If we migrate away from GitHub - and this project has been through multiple version control systems in its history and I see no reason why its future will be different - then the information in the PR if not lost, will at least be detached from the source. I would much rather rely on good commit messages and code comments to pass on the 'why' of a change to the committers that follow.

The email archive of PR discussions is not easy to read contemporaneously. It is even harder to read for historic issues. I regularly find myself having to use the web interface to make sense of a series of comments on a PR I read on the mailing list.

I'm on the fence as to whether the benefits we get from using PRs is worth the risks. I think it is a very close call.

What to others see as the benefits (or risks) using PRs for everything?

Mark

Back to the top