[jetty-dev] changing default jetty ssl settings

hi,

I have just built a new web application that runs on Jetty 9.2.5 and my company has asked some people to run a low-level web security testing against it.

They have found that a number of SSL protocols that are no longer considered secure were enabled on the Jetty server.

I was able to address the problem by changing jetty-ssl.xml to look as follows:

 <Set name="ExcludeCipherSuites">
    <Array type="String">
      <Item>SSL.*</Item>
      <Item>RC4.*</Item>
<Item>.*NULL.*</Item>
    </Array>
  </Set>

  <Set name="IncludeCipherSuites">
     <Array type="String">
       <Item>TLS.*</Item>
     </Array>
  </Set>

  <Set name="ExcludeProtocols">
    <Array type="java.lang.String">
       <Item>SSLv3</Item>
       <Item>SSLv2</Item>
    </Array>
  </Set>

I don't have many details on the security testing done, the only thing I know is that a combination of the following tools was used:

nmap, nessus, qulasys ssl

I am wondering whether it would make sense to change jetty-ssl to reflect these suggestions.

I am not saying that we should take my stuff as is, I just meant to throw the idea out there.

Hope this helps.

thanks,
Michele

Back to the top