Re: [jetty-dev] Jetty Plugin Functionality / Getting rid of Jetty Hightide release at codehaus

Hi all,

sounds good. Like the idea. I will split the task into smaller subtasks and will get some proof of concept working. Then I will describe what I've done here for discussion and refactor afterwards to implement new ideas from the discussion.

1. Enhance start.ini mechanism to allow additive files the way Greg described. If another way of modifying the contents of start.ini comes to my mind, I'll let you know.

2. Make plugins available for download. This will most probably be done using aether (http://www.sonatype.com/people/2010/08/introducing-aether/) and add this functionality to start.jar (--list-plugins, --install-plugin). Plugins will be hosted at maven central as discussed.

Everything else will remain as is. Installing a plugin will add files to $JETTY_HOME/etc, $JETTY_HOME/lib, ...

In the next step we've to think about how to deal with plugins that add more than just some config and libraries (webapps, etc.) like jetty-jmx-ws.

Greg, does this sound like a good way to get something going for you?

Cheers,
Thomas