Re: [iot-wg] IoT WG bi-weekly call - May 21 2019, 11 am EDT

In yesterday's call I took brief notes on the Eclipse IoT integration topic, I am sharing them here for reference. Sounds like it was a productive F2F meet up in Berlin.

Call to action - Ease of adoption / Easier to try out Eclipse IoT technologies together

Observation - There are two stacks today that we could attract developers to adopt:
  1. Hono, Ditto and hawkBit
  2. Kura and Kapua
Question: Can these two stacks be characterized by the number or order of magnitude of devices they scale to?

Idea - Define IoT stack packages that can easily be deployed in to a Kubernetes cluster for demo and trial purposes (not for scale or production).

Approach -
  • Create Docker containers for the stack components and Helm Charts for ease of orchestration and deployment
  • Organize the work to maintain and release the Helm Charts in to a new project at iot.eclipse.org
    • Project decides exactly which release levels of the packages to include
  • Provide documentation i) a getting started guide and ii) primer to explain the use case and rationale for using the packages together as a stack
  • Need a Kubernetes cluster with enough capacity to provide good performance. Can the Foundation provide or is this a reason to start charging for joining the working group?
Question - What about other projects that provide useful capabilities like Mosquitto and Paho? How do they participate in the stack?

Thanks ... Paul