[iot-pmc] Paho Embedded Client Dependencies

Hello PMC,

(From the "Guidelines for the Review of Third Party Dependencies"

'A prerequisite may be classified as "exempt" by the EMO if the software is pervasive in nature, expected to be already on the user's machine, and/or an IP review would be either impossible, impractical or inadvisable')

The Paho embedded client comes in two flavours, C and C++. The C++ version has ports for Linux, ARM mbed (10699) and Arduino (10695). The C version for Linux, TI cc3200 (10817) and FreeRTOS (10820). Each environment comes with its own OS and build chain.

Most of the source code is independent of the target OS or networking stack. A small amount is interface code. We don't distribute binaries.

In the future I wanted to think about providing interface code for other OSes, such as RIOT and TinyOS. For some of these environments, the cost of IP review may be more than that of writing the interface code. For some of them, an IP review might be possible, for others not.

Maybe we could decide that the Linux port was the prerequisite, and the others are "works-with" dependencies (assuming we don't distribute binaries). I think Jens agrees with this. If so these could still need the "guidance of the EMO", "if the dependency is distributed under any license other than those documented by the EMO as compatible with the EPL", according to the guidelines.

--
Ian Craggs
Paho Project Lead; Committer on Mosquitto

Back to the top