[hono-dev] Event northbound delivery validation

Hello everyone,

I have a question regarding events delivery. For us an event is quite precious and we really don't want to loose any. Thus we would like the device to know if an event hasn't been saved properly in order to send it again. But this doesn't seem possible right now using Hono.

I'm not sure if I understood everything but to me it looks like Hono acknowledge that the event has been delivered as soon as it arrives in the AMQP broker (or maybe even before?). The problem is that at this point we don't know yet if the event is acceptable from the business application point of view. Furthermore if the business application dies before persisting the event we would loose it for good. I was thinking that the best way to tackle this would be to have a reply queue that goes all the way to the device. This way the business application could send a message back to the device to either confirm or decline the event.

I don't know how that could be implemented in the HTTP Protocol Adapter but it would work like a charm with the MQTT adapter.

Could you please tell me if I understood correctly how the event delivery happens and if the solution I'm proposing could work?

Best regards,

--
François Travais
Software Architect