Re: [data-dev] Build Automation (Jenkins)

Hello Kyle, excellent work, congratulations.
Please feel free to remove those Jobs.

On Tue, Aug 22, 2023 at 10:35 PM Kyle Aure via data-dev <data-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Good Afternoon Everyone,

Wanted to send out a note that I took some time this week to set up our Jenkins builds for automation.
To view all of our jobs follow this link: https://ci.eclipse.org/data/

I created 3 tabs:
- CI Builds: Builds that are started from Pull Requests
- Eclipse Builds: These will build, stage, and promote the TCK Distribution to https://download.eclipse.org/ee4j/data/jakartaee11/ (The Jakarta EE Platform requires this)
- Release Builds: These will build, stage, and release to staging and release repositories in sonatype

Here are the important workflows and an explanation of what they do:

1. jakarta-data-tck-build-and-stage: Builds the TCK Distribution .zip archive and stages (uploads) it to https://download.eclipse.org/ee4j/data/jakartaee11/staged/eftl
2. jakarta-data-tck-staged-to-promoted: Downloads the latest staged TCK Distribution .zip archive and promotes (uploads) it to https://download.eclipse.org/ee4j/data/jakartaee11/staged/eftl
  - Builds the entire Jakarta Data project from the main branch, and uploads it to the staging maven repository: https://jakarta.oss.sonatype.org/content/repositories/staging/jakarta/data/
  - This will also create and push a new branch and tag in github from the main branch
4. jakarta-data-stage-to-release: This will take the branch created from the build-and-stage workflow, and use it to build and publish the project to the release repository: https://jakarta.oss.sonatype.org/content/repositories/jakartadata-***/

Each of these workflows has a parameter called DRY_RUN which can be used to run the workflow without actually uploading any artifacts where they are externally available.

Otavio - It looks like the workflows jakarta-data-ci-17 and jakarta-data-ci-21 were created by you and run when PRs are opened/updated/merged.
They seem to do the same build steps as the Github Actions workflow here: https://github.com/jakartaee/data/blob/main/.github/workflows/java-CI.yml
However, the Jenkins workflow never reports back to the PR.
Can we remove these workflows from Jenkins and just have the Github Actions workflow?

Thank you,

Kyle Jon Aure