Re: [wtp-releng] Branching - question on starting tag..

I personally don't have much advice there. It mostly just has to be something meaningful to you and other committers,
as it is very important to know if/when you do merge operations.

In the past, if there wasn't a "clean" tag like R1_0_0,  I would have done something similar to what you did ... lately I find myself giving in
to simply using that suggested default, of something like Root_R1_0_0_maintenance. (as it is a bit easier to remember).

In theory, too, I think it's best to use a "common" tag for your modules/projects/plugins, has then you can use multiple selection in
some operations. I say in theory since I'm not sure I've ever done merges with multiple projects ... just compares (which is a lot different).

"raghunathan srinivasan" <raghunathan.srinivasan@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sent by: wtp-releng-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx

09/06/2007 08:40 PM

Please respond to
"raghunathan.srinivasan@xxxxxxxxxx"        <raghunathan.srinivasan@xxxxxxxxxx>; Please respond to
Webtools releng discussion list <wtp-releng@xxxxxxxxxxx>

"Webtools releng discussion list" <wtp-releng@xxxxxxxxxxx>
cc
Subject
[wtp-releng] Branching  - question on starting tag..

Hi David,

I have a question about the ‘exception’ case in your doc, http://wiki.eclipse.org/WTP_How_to:_Branching_Policy_and_Practices#Practice on the convention to be used for a start tag to be used for a branch.

For JSF, HEAD != R2_0_0 (or more accurately R1_0_0) at the time of branch. Hence, I have tagged the HEAD code as R_1_0_1_base_vnnnnnnnnn and plan to use this as the start tag when I branch. Is there a better convention to follow?
-Raghu