Re: [wtp-releng] Build compiler warnings too aggressive?

Seems reasonable. Anyone know the JDT preference option? It's not leaping out at me.

--Cam

David M Williams wrote:

Yes, about a year ago there as a long heated debate on this (in bugzillas and Eclipse newsgroups).

There's no good tools for correcting it, but the cure, for the warning, is to use the fully qualified name in the java docs, not the short name that depends on an import. And, there is a preference in JDT pages somewhere that controls this behavior for future code you write.

I'd prefer we all do that, but am open to be overruled. That is, I'd prefer that we all use fully qualified name in java doc, set our jdt preferences to do that automatically, and clean up old violations of that rule.

Is there a problem with that? Or, are you requesting they be turned off?

I'd prefer not to have them in the "import" headers, because I _think_ that may "mess up" other tools ... such as finding unused dependancies ... it may appear you are dependent on something when you are not. (The JavaDoc dependancy is just a "build time" thing ... which is handled differently that runtime dependancies).

*Cameron Bateman <cameron.bateman@xxxxxxxxxx>*
Sent by: wtp-releng-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx

11/15/2006 04:08 PM
Please respond to
Webtools releng discussion list <wtp-releng@xxxxxxxxxxx>

	Webtools releng discussion list <wtp-releng@xxxxxxxxxxx>
cc

Subject
	[wtp-releng] Build compiler warnings too aggressive?

The JSF team is in the midst of cleaning up code warnings.  I thought I
had resolved all the warnings caught by the webtools build, but one
remains that is not caught by Eclipse/JDT at all.  This is the use of
imported classes only in JavaDocs.  For example,  we have a warning in
one of our modules as below.  It is true that this class is not used in
the code but it *is* used in the JavaDoc and generates JavaDoc warnings
if the import is removed (though it does not break the build).  Indeed,
Ctrl-Shift-O will add the import back in if I remove it.

2. WARNING in
/shared/webtools/build-wtp-R2.0-I/workdir/plugins/org.eclipse.jst.jsf.facesconfig.common/src/org/eclipse/jst/jsf/facesconfig/common/widget/StyleCombo.java
(at line 18)
   import org.eclipse.swt.SWTException;
The import org.eclipse.swt.SWTException is never used