[wtp-releng] Recent (and coming) changes to build machine and CruiseControl setup

Just FYI, for those that follow our build process closely,
I've updated our build notes at
http://wiki.eclipse.org/index.php/WTP_Build_Process_and_Procedures
specificially
http://wiki.eclipse.org/index.php/WTP_Build_Process_and_Procedures#5.2F23.2F2006_Changes_to_build_machine_and_CruiseControl
and paste them here just for easy quick reading.

= = = = =

The "coming" change will be just a bit of clean up, as we have lots of variables repeated, and its hard to tell which are "relevent" to change (and
some adopters have complained our build process is too hard to duplicate ... not just me :)

= = = = =

5/23/2006 Changes to build machine and CruiseControl

I've moved the

    /releng.builder/tools/cruise

stuff to another cvs project ... and called it

    /releng.control

The idea is that anything that is "machine specific" or "cruise control" specific we can put in releng.control, and have it under its own versioning/update rules. We'll attempt to keep the CVS version in synch with the eclipse.org PPC machine we use, but other machines can be kept in "parallel" files, e.g. see

cruise-lomboz.properties

and rename them when deployed.

One implication (by design) is that "releng.builder" isn't downloaded and checked automatically by CruiseControl, in other words, changes in it won't trigger a build. Not sure what is still used in "releng.builder", but know some things are, such as API checkers. So, these API checkers will have to be downloaded or triggered by some other means (as has been our direction for a while).

Similar tor the "whatisfixed" tools .. I've turned it "off" by default ... it takes almost as long as the build itself! So, we don't want to run it each build. Naci will be working on how to execute those separately against a specific, declared build.

I've updated to cruise control 2.5 (they fixed that memory leak that was causing me to have to restart it every day or two). (initially the 2.5 version was "crashing" frequently, but I think related to VM version, and seems to be running well now, well ... for at least for 24 hours :)

I got the status is working again ... see http://build.eclipse.org:7777/cruisecontrol/

Back to the top